March 29, 2004

(1) Tennessee 71, (4) Baylor 69
Mar 28, 11:49 pm EST

NORMAN, Okla. (AP) -- Tasha Butts hit two free throws after a questionable call with 0.2 seconds left to give top-seeded Tennessee a 71-69 victory over Baylor in the Midwest Regional semifinals Sunday night.

Shyra Ely missed a fast-break layup as the clock ticked down and Butts was unable to tap in the putback. In the scramble for the loose ball, Baylor's Jessika Stratton collided with Butts and was called for a foul.

Officials huddled after the buzzer and reviewed the replay on a courtside television monitor to see if the foul came before time ran out.

After a few moments, Butts went to the line and sank both shots.

Ely finished with 19 points to lead Tennessee (29-3), which will play in the round of eight for the ninth time in 10 years.

The Lady Vols will play sixth-seeded Stanford, which beat Vanderbilt on a late 3-pointer in the early game, on Tuesday night.

Butts scored 16, LaToya Davis 12 and Shanna Zolman added 10.

Emily Niemann scored 19 to lead fourth-seeded Baylor (26-9). Stratton added 17 and Sophia Young had 13.

With the game tied at 69 and 31 seconds, Stratton dribbled the ball down to 9 seconds before driving to the basket and giving the ball away.

Ely ran full court, but couldn't make the layup.

An NCAA representative told reporters the officials would not be available for comment.

Baylor seemed to be in control with 6:41 to play. Dionne Brown put the Bears ahead 64-57 on a layup, then Tennessee star Ashley Robinson was whistled for her fifth foul at the other end.

As Baylor fans screamed ``Go Baylor Go,'' Tennessee fans sat and waited for the Lady Vols to come back. Ely turned to the crowd and gestured for the orange-clad faithful to make some noise.

Tennessee responded immediately with a 12-3 run, taking the lead on Ely's jumper in the lane.

But after Young's one-hander in the lane tied the game at 69, Ely missed two free throws to give Baylor possession with 57 seconds left.

Niemann pulled down a Brown miss with 31 seconds to play and the ball was knocked out of bounds, handing possession back to Baylor.

But the Bears never got off another shot and the Lady Vols survived a scare.

No comments: