Twelve Now Dead In Attack On U.S. Consulate
Five Workers Killed
JIDDAH, Saudi Arabia -- A U.S. Embassy spokeswoman says five workers were killed in an attack Monday on the American consulate in Jiddah, Saudi Arabia.
That raised the death toll to 12, including three attackers.
The official said five members of the consulate's local staff were killed.
She said none of those killed were American.
The violence started when attackers hurled explosives at the gate of the fortified consulate. The militants forced their way into the building and held civilians at gunpoint.
Saudi officials said they stormed the consulate after the attackers threatened the civilians.
The Interior Ministry said four of its forces died in the gunbattle.
The Saudis said three attackers were killed and another two captured after being wounded.
Security around the consulate has been extremely tight since last year's series of bombings against targets housing foreigners.
President George W. Bush said the attack on the consulate in Saudi Arabia shows "terrorists are still on the move."
Speaking at the White House Monday, Bush said militants hope to intimidate the United States with "their willingness to kill randomly."
He said the attackers hope Americans will "grow timid and weary."